Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Regarding Circumstances

There is a great precipice.
It stands between the hard ground that represents: sanity and the intended forward line. And the air, and your possible gravitational pull through it represents: chaos bent as described by natural law.

My great precipice is 10 feet tall. It depends on the wind and the amount of sediment. Mountains are rebuilt through sleep. Millions of years at rest meant to redistribute the masses, only to awaken a few known hours later.
Alarm clocks are deceptive.

Yesterday, as an historical example:
I received a message. A description from a five year old about “Why people are friends.” The age doesn’t matter – it’s the spirit behind the words. It is important that you know that I was 5 years old when I asked that question too.

I posed the sentence fragment seven days ago. The essayist response was 5 days later. And now I sit and vacillate.

‘Because they are kind. Because you love them as a person.’

And I sat and thought about it. It was a profound answer.

I suppose it is the answer concocted from a fragment: Some other small fragments. I would have been excited had someone asked me the question. To sit and be a philosopher.
I loved my five year old. I really did. We were married on the school yard under the only oak tree. We honeymooned in the plastic tube slide. He kissed my eyebrow.
He was describing a friendship when I really wanted to know the selfishness behind it. I wasn’t wondering about the amiable qualities painted upon such a word as friends. The term “friend” is already cocky enough. It needs not seek compliments.
I was looking for the reasons to seek that life out.

Because a friend makes you feel good. That’s why you keep them. You give them your hearts, so that you feel good about yourself: You made them happy – and you are rewarded with happiness in return. Sometimes they give you something without asking for happy returns. Then one feels generous and hopeful.
Such a thought – of a life built in personal gain through others. I was wondering what then was true. Because a five year old only knows that books say “You love friends because they are kind, good, faithful people.”
You love friends because you have to. An innate selfish demand.

So my precipice was at least 200 yards as I sat and thought of using and being used.
And then I slept. And I left my five year old boy on that mountain contemplating a different answer. And I was somewhere else, perhaps on a lower Japanese rolling hill with a serene calm, as not all selfishness is bad.

Only if you never return such trinkets to those who love you best.
Sometimes there shouldn't be an exceptions clause.

Tea?

1 Comments:

At 8:57 AM PDT, Blogger Laural Dawn said...

I love that you are a blogger. That's awesome. And i love your cool style. Keep it up.
Can't wait to keep reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home